Next Southlands info meeting proposed for September
The ongoing debate over the future of the Southlands property will take a hiatus for the summer and reopen in September at a proposed public meeting hosted my the municipality.
On Monday evening (June 25), Delta council will be asked to approve holding an information session about the Southlands development application on Sept. 6 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the South Delta Recreation Centre.
The meeting will not be held in July or August as many people will be on vacation.
Delta was expected to hold the meeting in June, following a pair of info sessions hosted by the developer Century Group in May. But according to a staff report from the Community Planning & Development Department, Delta does not yet have enough information to answer many of the questions raised by agencies, committees of council and the public.
Staff are asking for council's approval to undertake independent studies related to flood construction levels and storm water management and irrigation options for the Southlands.
The combined cost of these studies is $125,000.
Century Group's proposal is to build 950 housing units on 20 per cent of the 537-acre agricultural parcel in Tsawwassen. The other 80 per cent would be transferred to Delta for agriculture, natural habitat and public open space.
Century Group has submitted an application to rezone the Southlands for the first phase of development. Phase 1 would include 450 units, plus infrastructure and public amenities.