Free flu shot clinics for kids in South Delta
Young children are now eligible for a free flu shot at clinics set up across Fraser Health.
While seniors are particularly vulnerable to the flu, otherwise healthy children also become seriously ill or even die because they didn’t get a flu shot, according to Fraser Health.
New this year, healthy children aged 6 months to less than 5 years of age and household contacts and caregivers of children less than 5 years of age are eligible for the free vaccine.
Influenza is the leading cause of preventable death due to infectious disease in Canada, killing thousands of Canadians every year and hospitalizing thousands more. Influenza spreads easily from person to person through coughing, sneezing, face-to-face contact and by touching surfaces such as door knobs and telephones that have been contaminated with the virus.
The flu season usually runs from November to April with an estimated 10-25 per cent of people infected each year. A person can have the flu virus without knowing it, and pass it to someone who may become seriously ill. An estimated 200 - 300 Fraser Health residents, mainly seniors, die every year from complications of influenza infection.
Last year, Fraser Health provided approximately 300,000 seasonal flu shots free of charge to those at risk of complications from the flu; the goal for the campaign this year is to achieve 365,000 vaccinations.
Clinics in South Delta
• Nov. 1 at the McKee Senior Centre (5155-57th Ave., Ladner) from 9-11:30 a.m.
• Nov. 15 at All Saints Anglican Church (4755 Arthur Dr., Ladner) from 3:30-6 p.m.
• Nov. 20 at South Delta Rec Centre (1720-56th St., Tsawwassen) from 3:30-6 p.m.
If you can't make it out to those dates, there are more flu clinics in North Delta:
• Oct. 30, Nov. 13, and Dec. 7 at the Health Unit (101-11245 84th Ave.) from 9 a.m. to noon
• Nov. 7 at the Kennedy Seniors Centre (11760-88th Ave.) from 9 a.m to noon
• Nov. 22 at the Evangelical Free Church (11300-84th Ave.) from 2:30-6:30 p.m.
Bring your CareCard or other government I.D. (valid driver’s license) to the clinic, and please wear a short sleeved shirt.